Tuesday, November 3, 2009

don't make the mistake.............







of going to the Coastle Empire Fair a week after you get back from Disney World.
It was nothing like I remembered it to be.
When I was a child this fair was bigger than life.
We couldn't wait for it to arrive into town.
When you entered the gates there was an "air" of excitement........
from the sawdust and hay on the ground to the smells in the air.
They weren't even spinning the cotton candy....it was already bagged up in plastic.
The best and only excitement was the pot-bellied pig race where the big mama you see pictured above was the winner.
What happened to the freak show, the two-headed cow, and the livestock exhibit?
Bubba said, "What were you expecting, Cathy?"
"I don't know," maybe I wanted it to be the way it was when I was sixteen and everything was ahead of me.
You ready to go? Yes!
He took me to the Dairy Queen for a small dipped cone.
There wasn't even a treat at the fair that I wanted.
I think I've grown up.....
cathy




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cathy, I too have longed to revisit the COASTAL EMPIRE FAIR,
I remember my Grandaddy was a Policeman and was assigned to the
back gate of the fair, needless to say who got in free, ha!
That was probably in the very early 50's. The last one that I went too was in Statesboro, I love the pancake supper they serve there. Also loved to visit the farm animal shed. That was about 4 yr. ago.
Maybe we should try the one there next year.

ECD