Wednesday, November 18, 2009

repetition

A few years ago I studied the book of II Peter in the Bible for a ladies study.
It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but also one of the most rewarding.
I went through the book verse by verse laboring over several different commentaries.....searching to bring out the truth of each passage clearly.
God blessed that time in my life abundantly.

As the Apostle Peter wrote this book he was well past the impulsiveness of his early years with our Lord. After Jesus' resurrection and ascension, Peter, being filled with the Holy Spirit, went on to become one of the most influential voices of the early church.

His purpose in the writing of the book of II Peter was to identify and warn the people of false teachers and the coming persecution and to give a most detailed Biblical account of the end of the world. (most applicable to us today)

I was amazed at the emphasis he put on "repetition."

"Therefore I shall always be ready to remind you of these things even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present in you." II Peter 1:12

"And I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder." II Peter 1:13

"This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder." II Peter 3:1

Why?
Why do we need repetition?
Why do we need to be constantly reminded of the truth in God's word?

Because we are human...
we forget
the world crowds out the things of God
we are inclined to believe the lies of Satan
we are weak and feeble
we do not have the mind of God.

That is why we need to be in God's word every day.
That is why we need to hear God's word proclaimed

To hear the word of God over and over is life for us who are believers.

No comments: