Wednesday, September 24, 2008

can you identify this building?

In the future, now and then, I will be posting pictures on my blog that have had a sinificant place in my past.

If you know what this building was used for many years ago, please leave a comment and include any fond memories you may have. I will do the same.

Please disregard the rather strange looking blond guy holding up the street sign. He saw me taking this picture and started posing.

I just got news from a friend that a very lovely and kind Christian lady passed away in her sleep this morning. Mrs. Thelma Hewitt was almost 89 years old. What a fitting homecoming God had planned for her........to close her eyes to sleep and to wake up with Jesus.

"As for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousnes; I will be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake." Psalm 17:15

with sympathy, Cathy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Building is the old Calvary Baptist Temple Social Hall. My fond memories are the great basketball that was played there. As a teenager we drove Willie the caretaker crazy. He would set up for Sunday on Friday and we would come in on Sat and take the chairs down and play Basketball all day. Sometimes we did not remember to re-set the chairs and we got in big trouble.

Anonymous said...

I too remember the "Social Hall"we had lots of good volleyball games there with our leaders, Lukie Bass,
Marguerite Anderson M/M Jimmie Owens
and many others that I can not remember their names.
God Bless them all, some still here and others passed on to Glory. They were there for the youth of the church long before Youth Ministers and trips to Florida Beaches.
Also fond memories of L.E. and Thelma Hewitt, who are together tonight and with the Lord.

Anonymous said...

That old building looks pretty good. I have memories of banquets where tables filled the hall. I also remember playing up on the stage.

Cathy Cleland said...

As a child I remember the place as mysterious. I was intrigued with the backstage things....the darkness and such. I remember the small kitchen and how I loved to go in there. There were lots of parties and banquets held in the hall. I remember walking to the social hall with my Vacation Bible School class to have refreshments and fun. I spent so much of my childhood there and am blessed with so many fond memories.