Saturday, September 27, 2008

just hangin' around

Today was a very beautiful day....not a cloud in the sky. No humidity......a gentle breeze.
The sun was in all of it's full splendor warming and comforting those who walked under it's intensity.

About mid-morning we decided to spend the afternoon at the beach. We packed a picnic dinner, Erika made some delicious chicken salad, and we took chips and such.....a feast to behold. (sorry I talk about eating so much in this blog. I think it is one of the supreme pleasures of life.)

The beach was crowded with people, the lure of the gorgeous day being too much to resist.
While taking a stroll with our feet in the water, we ran into two very special guests who are enjoying our condo this weekend.

Later we pulled the babies across the street in the wagon to the playground and picnic area.

The picture above of Lucy hanging from the "jungle gym" brought back very special memories to me.

When I was a girl of nine or ten my Dad installed a play gym in our backyard......we lived across the street from my Aunt Clyde and Uncle Dan on 35th St. We both lived on the corner, so while they were eating they could see over into our yard.

When I was sixteen my uncle wrote me a very sweet note reminding me that most of the time their view would be "Cathy hanging by her knees from the top post of the swing set."

I loved to get in that position and stay there as long as I could......I would get tired, come down, and then climb right back up to hang some more.

Three things I remember most about my childhood:

Playing mother to my dolls in my playhouse
Reading everything I could get my hands on
Hanging from the post upside down on the swingset.

I still love to play grandmother to my babies and one of my passions is reading, but I don't hang upside down anymore. I think I will get Bubba to install a bar in our back yard for that very purpose.

Lucy, we can hang together.

Until later....cathy

No comments: