Wednesday, March 25, 2009

faith cometh by hearing

I prayed for faith and thought that some day faith would come down and strike me like lightening. But faith did not seem to come.

One day I read in the tenth chapter of Romans,

"Now faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

I had closed my Bible and prayed for faith. I now opened my Bible and began to study, and faith has been growing ever since. D. L. Moody

Does this quote describe you? Are you waiting for faith to come knocking on your door?

Don't wait....open God's word and start reading. Ask for wisdom and understanding. He will bless you with both and He will give you faith to believe what you read.

Faith comes from knowing the Book of all books.

Study it, read it, hear it taught, desire it above all else.

Every now and then I have to come back to why I started blogging in the first place and that was to urge all of you to
Read and study God's word.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

we should not read over the word "hearing" to quickly. Paul has alredy said right before this that we "hear" through preaching. He also writes to Titus that "He has manifested His Word through preaching." Of course the preaching must be from the Word.

Cathy Cleland said...

By writing this message I had no desire to diminish the importance of hearing "the word" preached.

I did mention toward the end that we should "hear the word taught."

However, in so many cases, we ONLY hear the word preached.

I believe that self study goes hand in hand with preaching to fully equip the believer for service to His Kingdom here on earth and preparation for eternity in heaven with Him.

Anonymous said...

Cathy,

I love this post. Love it! I have read it three times today.

Thank you so much!

So glad that baby Harry is doing better. I also hope that you are feeling better.

Margaret

Cathy Cleland said...

Thank you Margaret for your sweet words of encouragement.

Jamie Heater said...

Thank you very much for this.
I'm going to go read my Bible right now. I am in great need of faith. Thank you!

Cathy Cleland said...

May God bless you as you start to read His word. I'll be praying for you....

Jamie Heater said...

Thank you!