Saturday, July 18, 2009

a servant's heart

I do not have a servant's heart.
I wish I did, but I don't.
When an opportunity to serve others comes my way I have to pray that the Holy Spirit will give me a heart that desires to do for others and forget about myself.

The life of a believer is a continual battle between "your own way" and God's way. Nothing in the spiritual realm comes easy.......we must always battle with ourselves to do the will of God.

It is God's power in us that enables us to do His will.

"Now the God of peace who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus Christ our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever, Amen." Hebrews 13:21

Look at this closely....it is so rich:

God/Jesus...

Equips us in every good thing to do His will
Works in us that which is pleasing in His sight

The power of God in the form of His Holy Spirit equips us and works in us so that we would desire to love God and others and to serve them instead of loving ourselves and our own pleasures. He also causes us to eagerly desire to hear and read His word.

A little over a year ago we moved back to Savannah. My mother had just died and Bubba and I decided to come back home to help take care of my father. That was not to be. He decided that he wanted nothing more to do with my husband and by rejecting him he also rejected me.

So....not serving my father as planned, but so many other opportunties have come my way.
I find this interesting and I thank my God for equiping me and working in me to do His will.

It still takes daily, sometimes hourly prayer...........but I am finding that in Him I do have a servant's heart.

humbled by His provision for me in my sin........

cathy

No comments: