Saturday, April 30, 2011

she forgot to be thankful

Just got back from an inspiring and refreshing bike ride.
I am inspired by the way I feel when I exercise.
I feel refreshed because
it is an absolutely gorgeous "perfect 10" day.

Been doing some thinking today.....
trying to understand why someone would take their own life.
Because I have been a victim of depression myself,
and have talked with many who have been at that point of despair,
I think it could have it's roots in "not being thankful."

I read this verse just now....
"Give thanks in all circumstances
because this is the will of God for you."
I Thessalonians 5:18

How can one turn despair into thanksgiving?

By changing the course of your thinking.
By remembering to be thankful.
By sitting with a pen and paper
and writing down in black and white
the things that you are thankful for.
It may take a while to get started,
but soon you will remember another and another
and your whole train of thought will be back on track.

Maybe this is simplistic,
but it has worked for me.

Notice that the verse says,
"this is God's will for you."
It is not a suggestion.

God knew we would struggle with despair.
At times and for some people,
this life is unbearable.
He,
in His ultimate wisdom and love,
gave us the solution......
"Give thanks in all circumstances."

It may be too late for some,
but this verse has
life giving hope and power
for others who are struggling.

I know, I've been there.
cathy

1 comment:

Allison Stroud said...

I've been there, too! This was SO SO what I needed to read before I went to bed!! THank you as always :)