Sunday, December 16, 2007

moma's fudge

A lot of people thought that she made the best fudge in the world. Pure chocolate cocoa and sugar and butter loaded with fresh pecans (pe-cans). It would melt in your mouth.

It was always a big event at our house when mom set about to make a pot of fudge. It was never throw a few ingredients in a bowl and stir.....no, no. It involved a make-shift double boiler. It took a long time and the result was not always a happy one.

Most of the time moma's fudge turned out perfect, but every now and then it was a complete failure.

I was told that failure was always the result of too much "humidity" in the air.

Now those of us who live in the south are especially familiar with this heavy pool of moisture that hovers in our airspace on a quite regular basis.

too hot? "it's the humidity"
Feeling poorly? "it's the humidity"
bad hair day? "it's the humidity"
Marriage falling apart? "it's the humidity"

"The humidity is the result of all failures in the south according to us.

My moma was ill for a very long time. One night Bub and I made a date with her to make fudge. We wanted to write her receipe and watch her technique.

It was the last time she ever made her fudge and it turned out perfect.

Yesterday Amanda called and asked if I could put my hand on her "Gi's" fudge receipe. She wants to make it for Christmas.

I found what we wrote down that night. I will e-mail a copy to her......but I am skeptical. Moma was a "dump" cook. She worked from her head instead of a written receipe.

I hope we can duplicate moma's fudge, but I don't have much hope.

This made me start to cry...............I'll write more later.

No comments: