Sunday, May 11, 2008

a day to honor mothers

It feels strange to me not to have my mother today.

I am glad to be able to honor her still with my thoughts and memories.

I have been going through some old photos this week and many of them picture her in her healthier days. That is how I like to remember her. She was funny, she was a great cook, she liked to dress stylishly and she loved my babies. She was a great mom.....

I cherish the time spent with her in the nursing home as well. She kept her humor until the end. She loved for me to read the Bible to her and pray with her. Mostly we would sit and look out the window and have quiet talks of mother - daughter things.

I got to watch her take her last breath and I rejoiced as her spirit went to be with our Lord Jesus. She went joyfully and peacefully and because of her example I will never be afraid of dying.

I say to my daughters Amanda and Erika.......God bless both of you in your role of mother today. You who struggle so hard......you who discipline until you are emotionally drained and crying yourself. You both are doing an amazing job with my favorite little people....Jake, Lucy, Eli, and Harry. Your diligent work with these babies is evident when we have them. Keep the faith!

"Raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and when they are old they will not depart from it."

Today Mitch offered himself up to be my surrogate son as neither of my children live close to me. Thanks so much. The food was delicious and the fellowship was great. It was good to be with you and Rita and Estelle and Irvin. As always it is fun to be with the pups and Ginger. They are great entertainers.

It is a blessing to have a mother and to be a mother. It is also a blessing to know that your mother is safely with the Lord when she leaves you here.

Blessings to all of you mothers out there....

No comments: