Thursday, December 10, 2009

another nursing home

Our Aunt Dottie is 90 years old.
She had been managing well at her apartment in assisted living.
She had a life with friends and things to do.

It was always a pleasure to visit her there.
Sometimes I would take a little one with me.
I always saw it as a great teaching moment.....
"We visit often and offer comfort and love to our family members when they get old."

She came and joined the family for Thanksgiving as she does for every holiday.
She seemed fine, but she told me that she was having trouble transferring from her wheelchair.
Within a few days she was in the hospital unable to move her legs because of the pain.

Monday she was put in the nursing home.

I visited her today and it was very hard.
I couldn't believe the change I saw in her face.
I tried to comfort her and I prayed with her....but the sadness has lingered all day.

Next time I will take my Bible.....I know of no better way to comfort.

"My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

God, impress this truth on Aunt Dot's heart tonight.

No comments: