Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"mom, the floor was moving"

Last night,
just before I reached over to turn out the light,
I read the last page of the book
Cascadia's Fault by Jerry Thompson. 
Here's an exerpt......

"There's a crack (the Cascadia Fault)
in the earth's crust
that runs roughly 31 miles offshore,
approximately 683 miles
from Northern California
through Vancouver Island,
off the coast of British Columbia
that could generate
the earthquake and tsunami
that could devastate North America."

Needless to say,
earthquakes
have been heavy on my mind
in the last few days
as I have made my way through this book.

News this afternoon
of an earthquake in Virginia shocked me.
My first thought was,
"It's not supposed to happen over here."

My second thought was,
"What about Amanda?"

She was enjoying lunch with a friend at the Chik-Fil-A.
The first thing she noticed was that the wall was moving.
(Her arm was touching it)
Next she looked at the floor and it was moving too.
At this point she became dizzy and nauseous.
The light fixtures were also swaying.
Jake and Eli
were happily playing in the play place
and didn't notice anything.
As soon as it started it was over.

Was glad to hear finally that they were safe.

"....and there will be earthquakes in various places...."
Mark 13:8

Up there in the picture....
well, that's the San Adreas Fault out in California.
I thought you would like a view.

No comments: