Friday, August 12, 2011

the wedding chapel at tybee

A couple of years ago
a church facade
was built on Tybee Island
to be used in filming "The Last Song."

After all of the Hollywood types
had packed up and headed west on Highway 80,
I set out on my bike
to find and inspect what they left behind. 
What I found intrigued me and does to this day.

When I heard that the remains
were to be used as a wedding chapel on the island
I was impressed.
Months ago I posted a picture on this blog of the church
being hauled down Butler Avenue on a flatbed truck.
(see Tuesday, July 10, 2010)

Well, today that church came to its fruition
and I, along with my friend Sandy, were there to witness.
The ribbon on the door above
was cut to much hoopla and flash and good old Southern charm.

There, under the hanging oaks and heavy humidity,
we cheered and had unwipeable smiles.
From the beautiful roses,
to the rough hewn heart pine floors,
and the intricately beautiful molded ceiling,
we were awed and amazed.

And in the midst of so many different people,
a pastor prayed a prayer of dedication
and called upon the name of our precious
Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

It just did us good to see such a thing.
cc

*lots and lots of lightning tonight,
but i can't see the big ole moon
because of the clouds.

No comments: