Monday, July 23, 2007

the house on hilton head island

There's just something about it......it is behind the gates of Sea Pines. It is very large and comfortable and inviting. Outside of the sliding glass doors there is a private swimming pool. It's just a short walk down the path to the ocean. It seems secluded even though it is not.

The summer after high school I and the boy I thought I was in love with at the time would drive to Hilton Head on the weekend. There wasn't much there then....just long stretches of wide beach down to the rolling blue waves of the sea. We would build a fire and sit around and completely enjoy each other until late in the evening. (There were other couples too).

Hilton Head was a deserted island then...a place of magic and young love. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Things have certainly changed on the island now. It is thriving with too many cars and T-shirt shops and way too many people, but somehow the house in Sea Pines has the same charm for me as those long ago days on the beach.

In less than two weeks we will again gather at the house on Hilton Head for our annual summer stay. We will share it with Robbie and Mary Ann and Lisa and Jeff. There will be lots of laughter and fun....I can hardly wait.

The reason that I like it so much is that I can completely relax. I can sit on the beach under an umbrella and read all day long. I can walk back up the path and take a dip in the pool. I can eat when I want. The are no schedules. I don't have to leave the house at all.

It is a true vacation.......a time away from the craziness of life.

Kind of like when I was a teenager sitting on the deserted beach laughing as if there were no tomorrow.

No comments: