Wednesday, July 18, 2007

parking tickets

I do not mean to break the law. I try to be a law-abiding citizen in everything I do. The Bible tells us to "render under Ceasar." I really want to do what is right, but I cannot seem to go anywhere without getting some sort of ticket.

The last ticket was attained in Savannah. I parked unknowingly in a handicap space. I really wondered why such a wonderful parking spot was just sitting there in downtown Savannah when I usually have to drive around in circles for hours to find a place to stop my car, but I just figured I had been blessed and pulled right in.

When I returned there it was perched majestically under the wiper of my front window. "Oh no," I thought, "what could I have possibly done?" Whatever it was I owed $100.00 for it.

I picked up my cell phone, dialed the "City of Savannah" and found out I was in the sacred spot. I got out of the car and looked high up in the tree and there hidden by the leaves, sure enough, was the handicapp sign. Because of my excellent communication and arguing skills I got it reduced to $25.00, paid it myself, and didn't tell Bubba.

Today the four of us set out early. We try to get away sooner, but it is always at least 10:00 before we get out of the door. We drove to a children's resale shop that Amanda had mapquested. I found a spot right in front of the store. She got Eli and the diaper bag and I got "big Jake."

Amanda enjoyed shopping while I fed Eli a bottle and watched Jake play. Soon it was time to go. As we excited Amanda saw it first. It was a bright yellow envelope displayed proudly on the front of my car. In all of the things that have to be done just to get out of the car, we had walked right past the parking meter and didn't even think about feeding it.

$35.00

I haven't told Bubba...maybe he will read this and take pity.

No comments: