Tuesday, July 17, 2007

old town alexandria

It is a charming little town built on the banks of the Potomac River. The world's smallest house is located there. A parade may pop up on any street at any time. The major thorougfares in the city are Duke, King, Queen, and Prince streets.

The shops and restaurants are small and close together....many must be accessed with some steep stairs. The walkways are paved with bricks and are narrow and unassuming. Manuvering them is a challenge on a good day.

Off we went today to show Amanda the delights of this area.....loaded down with everything I described yesterday and more. Amanda is enjoying her small size 8 figure. She really looked trendy today in her new skinny capri jeans and little kitten heel slides that I had given to her.
Striking is the word.

We parked near the river and started up the hill before us. It was already in the nineties....she is soon huffing....I offer to push the gypsy cart. She refuses. Before long she is starting to lose her balance in the little kitten heels. She still refuses to let me push.

We got in some of the shops that didn't have steps. We managed to make a few purchases. One children's store had a full setup of "Thomas the Train." Jake was so happy playing with it, but the fit that he pitched when I told him we had to leave was unearthly. I literally picked him up kicking and screaming and carried him out of the store.

Amanda let me push back to the van. It took all her energy to walk on the bricks in her little kitten heels. She put on my Nikes to walk over to the mall.

I have been laying on the bed in the cool room while the boys nap in a catatonic state. I may recover.....or maybe not.

No comments: