Tuesday, August 19, 2008

the oddity shop

I just got finished looking at my son David's blog.

I know you say, he hasn't blogged much lately, but I will take whatever I can get.....especially when they are about cats.

On his post I was surprised to find a cute cat with four ears......an "oddity" to say the least.

Which in turn got me to thinking about a job I had when I was at Savannah High School.

The shop was on Waters Ave. not far from my home.

My friend Linda and I took turns helping the owner after school and on Saturdays.

The name of the shop was, The Oddity Shop, and "that" it was.

It was stocked with everything from coffee pots to adhesive tape.

The lady who owned the shop was an "oddity" herself. She had red hair and these beady little eyes that watched us like a hawk. She smoked incessantly.

She was definitely three sheets to the wind most of the time.

My tenure with the "Oddity" shop ended when she accused one of us of stealing a coffe pot. Like a just turned sixteen year old would have any use for a "pot" of any kind.

She closed her business soon after we left.

I haven't thought of any of this in such a long time, but that woman still gives me shivers up and down my spine.

Thankfully my jobs got better as time went on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember so well. I think I may have gone to work with you a few times. I think of it every time I happen to be in Savannah and pass by the building it used to be in. As soon as I saw your post title, I knew exactly what you were going to write about. Smiling... Love to remember back in the day. Talk to you soon I promise.
Trish

Cathy Cleland said...

Yes....the shop was the talk of Waters Ave. I have been trying to remember if anyone ever shopped there.....Trish...send me your correct e-mail address when you get a chance. I am trying to get a handle on my contact list and I want to have yours correct.