Monday, February 22, 2010

a lizard in my car

It was raining cats and dogs when I picked up daddy to take him to the orthopedist this morning.
While trying to retrieve the large red and white umbrella from the back of the van, I saw what I was pretty sure was a lizard scampering to the front of the car.

Now......those who know me well understand that I have an inordinate fear of lizards stemming from an incident in my childhood which traumatized my soul. While scampering through some well kept hedges, I emerged with a whopper planted firmly on my arm. I have really never gotten over what happened that day.

Now.....it is winter, right? Lizards are dormant. I am safe.

Okay....I have my dad who has just had hip surgery in the front seat and we need to get to our appointment. I didn't have time to freak out. He couldn't help me, so.............
I steeled myself, got in the front seat and starting driving.

Ya'll....I turned to stone. I am making small talk with dad and inside myself I was freaking out. I started feeling the lizard on my legs......

We finally made it to the doctor's office. I calmly got out of the car, got the walker, and sent daddy on his way inside. I had to get back inside the car to park. By this time I am beside myself so......I called Bubba.

I said, " I know it is raining, but I have a problem." He hesitated and acted like it was my problem and not his. I pleaded, "You've got to come find this lizard and capture him or I will never drive in that car again."

He came.

In a little while he appeared in the doctor's office wearing green plastic gloves holding the biggest lizard he or I have ever seen.

Why he felt the need to show him to me I will never know.
Maybe he knew I needed real proof that he was gone.

I need to enroll in a get over your fear of lizards program

I am spent....cc

No comments: