Friday, June 29, 2007

my cat

Priscilla of Tyrone aka "da gwia" passed away unexpectedly (to me) yesterday afternoon. She was almost eighteen years old and my constant companion.

She had been declining since she was forced to leave her lifelong home in Fayetteville, GA, about ten months ago. Her life since then has been a constant series of upheavals and she was barely able to jump up on things anymore.

She spent her final days with Bubba (which is scary). She had a good, long life, the run of the house, and a place in our bed on cold winter nights. She was rescued from a pound in 1990 and led a charmed life. She was a lawyer.

I thank God for allowing me to have such a wonderful pet for so long.

She is survived by:

Maude Cleland
Combi and Baky Hollingsworth
Poosh O'Quinn
Rascal Deal
Li"l kiki and Bob Jacobs
Charles Edward and Blackie Crosby

I thank all of you who took care of her over the years and who shared my joy in having her.

A very sad Cathy.................. "Without You I'm Not Okay" (DC)

8 comments:

amanda h said...

I would like to start a series of comments on "Our Favorite Priscilla Memories."

My favorite Priscilla memory was(while I never saw this first hand)
her ability to find, capture, and kill all large rodents found at 145 Heritage Court. Amazing, considering she never moved very fast!

David said...

Since she was a lawyer, my favorite mental picture of Priscilla is one of her scurrying off to work, gathering her legal briefs into her little brown briefcase and quickly tossing a few pieces of cat food into a baggy for lunch.

Has anyone told Kevin?

Cathy Cleland said...

Very seriously, I am not able to talk out loud about her without crying.....when I tried to tell moma and daddy I started boo-hooing. My eulogies about her will have come later. It was all I could do to write the obit.

No one to my knowledge has told Kevin and I do not know how to get in touch with him.

Grace said...

I am so sorry to hear Cilla passed. We were just with her 3 weeks ago, and she was so sweet...the perfect hostess.

Goodbye Giwa!

Anonymous said...

Cathy and I have agreed not to
discuss the passing for a while.
I called Aunt Dottie to tell her
and she said she could not imagine what had happened when I started to tell her.
I have told Bubba that if he ever gets another cat I will warn the cat
ahead of time so that he can run
away as fast as he can.
Estelle

Anonymous said...

I would like to express my grief and sadness for the tragic passing of our dearly beloved Priscilla of Tyrone. It is amazing how Da Giwa has outlived every one of the extended family's cats. May she rest in peace.
Anna

Anonymous said...

A memorial photo has been posted at grcenotes.blogspot.com.

My fondest memories of Cilla are recent ones when I spent a week with her at Tybee this past February. She was such a companion to me, I enjoyed talking to her, and tried to give her special privileges that she might not otherwise have (such as no restrictions on where she sleeps). I was amazed at how glamourous she still was at her age, and brought home many photos of her, one of which is our screen saver.

It is nice that she passed away in DC, a city of lawyers, and in swank surroundings.

We are all sad. Sending special condolences to Cathy and Bubba,
Teri

Anonymous said...

"WE WHO CHOOSE TO SURROUND OURSELVES WITH LIVES EVEN MORE TEMPORARY THAN OUT OWN LIVE WITHIN A FRAGILE CIRCLE, EASILY AND OFTEN BREACHED. UNALBE TO ACCEPT IT'S AWFUL GAPS, WE STILL WOULD LIVE NO OTHER WAY. WE CHERISH MEMORY AS THE ONLY CERTAIN IMMORTALITY NEVER FULLY UNDERSTANDING THE NECESSARY PLAN.
(A QUOTE FROM THE BOOK,SEPARATE LIFETIMES BY IRVING TOWNSEND, STATED IN MITCH PATTERSON BLOG ON THE PASSING OF THEIR SHELTIE "SPUD"
ONE YEAR AGO TOMORROW, I THOUGHT IT VERY FITIING FOR PRISCILLA)
ECD