Sunday, October 21, 2007

Capitol Hills Baptist Church

Capitol Hills Baptist Church sits in a residential area at the foot of Capitol Hill in Washington,DC. It is really just a very short drive over the Potomac from our apartment.

I love the architecture of the homes that make up this area. I am intrigued with the shapes and colors and styles that I see. I would love to go inside a few of them and I dream about having one of my own to decorate.

The pastoral ministry of this church is very interesting. The pastor brings young men who are interested in becoming pastors in to train as interns under his tutorledge. Then they go out to have ministries of their own.

Our pastor shares the pulpit frequently with these interns who preach the morning service. The nice thing is that even though he doesn't have to preach, he comes to church anyway. He sits out in the congregation and worships with us. I like that.

The service usually lasts from 10:30 until 12:30. Some mornings we have baptism as well.

Baptism at CHBC is a real celebration. At the end of the service, those who will be baptized come up to the pulpit to give their testimony. After that they go to the back and reappear in the baptisimal pool to be baptised. During the time lapse the congregation is singing a wonderful hymn. Today it was "There is a Fountain." After the person is raised, there is much clapping to celebrate the person's new life in Christ.

I love the joy and excitement that is present at these services.

Proverbs 4:18
"But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn,
That shines brighter and brighter until the full day."

I love this verse!

No comments: