Tuesday, January 6, 2009

God's will in sickness

We are so mortal, so finite, so susceptible that it is amazing we last as long as we do.
The Bible says that we have seventy years.....maybe eighty if we do well.

I am blessed to be a pretty healthy girl. I always smile and say thank you Lord when the nurse tells me that my blood pressure is normal (without drugs) and that my heart is beating away faithfully in it's little place in my chest.

But, inevitably, every once in a while, something will come along and make me realise how humanly frail I am.

This time it was a bug that got itself ensconced inside of me. I kind of had some warning, but I never expected to be wracking with cough and listening to someone having conversations in my chest. Bubba can hear the wheezing from across the room.

What is God's will in sickness?

It is His way of reminding us that life is short. We will not be here forever. Don't settle in and be complacent. Seek Him, Be content, LOVE others with all that is in you.

It is His way of reminding us of who is in control in our lives. When I started hearing those people talking in my chest, it was like they were saying...."Get to the doctor now so that you can begin to feel whole again."

It is His way of getting us to stop in the midst of life and reflect on Him...At first my mind was too scrambled, but as the days have worn on I am back reading a little and reflecting on the goodness of God.

It is His way of saying, "Stay home, take your medicine, nourish yourself, be in My word and I will see you through." A good way to show love to others is to contain yourself as much as possible while contagious.

Amanda was funny this morning. She said she couldn't believe that I blogged last night after telling her earlier in the afternoon that I had pneumonia. She said, "You misspelled several words, but I was impressed that you blogged. She also said that she was calling it my "drunk on medicine" blog.

I didn't even tell her this, but I saw one of the misspellings, went back into the post to correct it, and noticed this morning that it was still misspelled. I was really out of it I guess.

Bubba has been a great nurse to me. Thank you...."in sickness and in health."

1 comment:

Allison said...

Feel better, Cathy!
Love, Allison