Tuesday, January 13, 2009

it never fails

Yesterday afternoon at two o'clock, I was shown into a three by five foot room and told that my doctor would be in to see me in a few minutes.

At five o'clock I was still sitting there waiting for him to show up.

I had been told that they would "fit me in" since I didn't have an appointment, but I wasn't prepared to spend three hours in this closet with no source of air.

After reading everything that I could devour to pass the time (even a copy of all things Rolling Stone Magazine), I began to go stir crazy.

The only window in the room was five and a half feet from the ground. I spent a lot of time on my tips looking out at Waters Ave. I zeroed in on a cooking school across the street that I may be interested in if I ever get well. The best thing about this activity was that I had to stretch my body to be able to see out.

I spent a good bit of time fanning myself with one of the magazines, but this got very old,very quickly.

One time I got up my nerve and stumbled out in the hallway to try to get some fresher air. The nurse agreed with me that it was very hot, but said nothing about when or even if the doctor would show up.

I was put in the last room down a very long hallway. Well into the third hour I began to get paranoid. My mind became solely focused on straining to hear any sound outside of my room that would give me hope. Every now and then I would hear footsteps, but they never came close. I tried to pray but every sound made my heart leap and I was distracted.

At five I was sure that they had forgotten about me.....the sounds had ceased and the sky in the little high window was darkening.

What should I do? I could get on the examining table, sleep through the night, and be the first patient in the morning.

Finally the door opened and in came the doctor. He asked me how I was......i said, "Fine."
I lied to him, but I was so glad to see him that I could have kissed his feet.

He changed my medicine and I feel a lot better.

I did have to go get a chest x-ray today.

They took me back, told me to undress, and then came back to ask me what I was having done to which I replied, "I'm having an x-ray done of my chest, to which they replied, "I have you down for a barium enema."

Oh, please........I had to get dressed and wait some more while they got everything straightened out. There was no way I was taking my jeans off....

I think that things like this happen to me so that I will have something to write about.

I am better today and feel like I may live to see another day.

Cathy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the latter may have flushed out the illness.