Friday, January 9, 2009

just finished....

The act of gift giving is an art. I truly love to go gift shopping. I love to think about the person I am buying for and then choose just the right delicacy for them to open on a special day.

I love to wrap my choice for them in beautiful paper and ribbon.....all of this makes me feel very happy.

The book pictured above was chosen for me by David and Erika......they know that I love to read books about weather related disasters. They went to an antique store downtown and found this book knowing that it would thrill my soul.

The title is in case you cannot see it well is, Our National Calamity of Fire, Flood, and Tornado. Thrilling Stories with Photographs and Sketches.

It was written in 1913 concerning a series of calamities in the Midwestern states of our country.

I read it from cover to cover while I was sick. It was very depressing, but interesting at the same time. I love to read these books because they give me such a feel for that part of the history of our great country.....how people coped under such tremendous pressure and tragedy.

I love old books....the way they look, the way they feel, the way they smell.

Who read this book?

Who held it in their hands and spent so much time with it as I just did?

Did whoever read this book live the tragety? I will never know, but somehow I feel a kinship....

Thank you David and Erika for knowing what makes me happy.......lm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so gald that i have another computer and that the blog is being publishsed again.
Glad you are some better.
ECD