Saturday, January 12, 2008

small purple berries

I first began noticing them on the walkway outside of our condo. They were everywhere and to walk meant trying to step carefully so as not to have purple juice all over my shoes. As the days wore on the number of them increased exponentially.

The question I kept asking was, "Where did they come from all of a sudden?"

A large contingent of aggressive black birds suddenly appeared using our deck banister as a resting place. These birds look nothing like the bird on the post in the picture above just in case you were wondering.

There is a steep green roof next to the walkway in back of our condo. I deducted that the birds were getting these berries from somewhere, landing on the steep green roof, and letting some of the berries slide out of their mouth and down the roof onto the walkway.

At the height of the "berry mystery" the birds started using our deck as a bathroom and it was soon covered in purple bird poop.

This morning I took the clorox and a brush out and scrubbed the deck clean. While I was doing this, I looked down into a palm tree and realized that the small, purple berries were growing on the tree. Only a few berries remained. So the mystery is solved.

These birds stayed around just long enough to eat the palm tree harvest and then moved on to find another feast.

I say to them.....please don't pass this way again.

Bubba left early this morning with my bike. He pumped up my tires and it rode like a BMW. It rained this afternoon so I didn't get to ride.

I like to nap when it's raining so I did that for a while after a day of work putting a scrubbing on my deck.

Purple was never my favorite color!

No comments: