Sunday, March 30, 2008

the consensus is in

My question about the low, consistent mooing that sounds like Bubba snoring has been answered.

You all say it is a bullfrog.

Well......I tell you this one is in trouble. Whatever it is he is doing he does it all night long without taking a breath.

Here is what I found about about these big guys:

They are native to the eastern United States.
Their body length is 4 to 8 inches.
Their legs may be up to 10 inches long.
The bullfrog is the only frog whose legs are marketed in quantity for food in the US.
The bullfrog has fully webbed toes.
He can close his nostrils and sit at the bottom of a pond for some time.
Male bullfrogs have a long, booming call.
Bullfrog tadpoles require two or three years to become adults.

My questions:

What is this loud, booming call for?
Why does he have to call all night?
Why would anything want to sit at the bottom of a pond for long periods of time?
If I ordered a frog leg would the webbed toes still be attached?

No big deal on the tadpoles taking two to three years to become an adult. It takes some of us humans 60 or more years to do the same.

Okay, so hopefully I will get used to Bubba and this bullfrog snoring all night......you know like people who live by a train track get used to the trains going by at all hours.

But what if this call means that other male bullfrogs will come and join with this bullfrog and set up a call station right outside of my bedroom window? Then what will I do?

His name is Jeremiah by the way.......c

No comments: