Friday, April 11, 2008

asphalt in my knee

The wedding was on Saturday, April 11th at 4:00 in the afternoon.

I was busy doing bride stuff, but I had heard some talk about the "getaway plan."

In Savannah people were known to go to elaborate lengths to whisk their bride away without being followed.

Also, to avoid the finish on the car being destroyed by shoe polish or paint, it was necessary to hide said car until time to leave the church as the newest Mr. & Mrs. in town.

Bubba, his family, and some friends were in on his plan and sworn to secrecy. I really wasn't in on much of this.....just told to "follow me and I will get us safely on the road to Daytona."

Well, the wedding and the reception went very well and soon it was time to leave. This part is sketchy to me. Robbie, Bubba's brother, took us on a wild goose chase in the wrong direction.
When he managed to lose the herd of followers, he took us back to where the car had been hidden in someone's garage.

This would have been the best plan ever except that someone in Bubba's trusted group tipped them off to where car was.

The next thing I remember is Bubba is in his car in the middle of the street and Robbie has me and my train case running for the car. I managed to get one leg in and Bubba took off like a bat out of hell. My right knee was being pulled down the street on the outside of the car.

At some point Bubba stopped, picked up the broken pieces of my trouseau, and got me fully inside.

We went to the hospital emergency room to have the leg treated and bandaged and for me to get a tetnaus shot.

We only made it as far as Brunswick on our wedding night which is about an hour away.

Needless to say this put a crimp in our honeymoon.

We ended up coming home early.

I still have the scar.....black with asphalt. It ground in deep.

To the person who let the cat out of the bag, no hard feelings, there never was :)

I wonder why Bubba was in such a big hurry??

This happened 38 years ago today.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mystery person signing in to say...
oh, so, so , sorry!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you get in the car? Did you not want to go?