Tuesday, April 15, 2008

what is it?

This is in our backyard. I really didn't invite him, he just came anyway. My sister Teri said that this is not a Canadian goose. She insists that it is just a duck, that Canadian geese have a white ring around their necks.

So people who know the answer to things like this, please respond so that I can give this critter a name.

Also, whatever this is, it is much too friendly. When I went out back to take this picture, he came strutting right up to where I was. When I didn't feed him he left in a huff.

I think our new house is on a wildlife preserve.

My questions in this matter:

Aren't ducks and geese the same?

Does anyone have a recipe for "Peking" duck?

To our guest last night I have two words......"console" and "Elvis."

Also, "When Elvis disappeared." I love to laugh!!

Hope you got your taxes in////from cathy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you Google Canadian Geese you will see pictures exactly like the one that belongs to you.

Anonymous said...

Cathy,

That is a Canancian Geese/Goose. No doubt about it. We live on the water and I see them daily........for the last 21 years! They are beautiful but very territorial. The ones we see are very tame as well. They will come up to our deck and beg for food. I often have to shoo them back to the water as they can make a terrible "mess".

The Canadian Geese are nesting now. I love seeing them with thier new fuzzy babies. Looks like you are experiencing a lot of wildlife in your new yard. That's wonderful.

Your babies are so precious! I know it's been fun having them visit with you and Bubba.

Hope all is well your way.

Margaret

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay, I lapsed on this one...it is a Canadian goose. However, why isn't it coming back up north? Quote from Grace,"Mom, there are different types of Canadian geese. Not having a ring around their neck does not compromise their geese-ness." Teri

(Sorry, I messed up on the first comment and had to take it off.)

Anonymous said...

Ducks and geese the same? Surely, you've played duck, duck goose! Geese and ducks are definitely not the same thing.

Anonymous said...

They do not go back North for the Winter because they have become lazy and comfortable where they are and have adapted well.

Anonymous said...

Teri, It's not going back up north because it has discovered the south!(And Savannah)
Donna

Cathy Cleland said...

Thank you all for setting my sister Teri straight on her geese. I knew in my heart of hearts that it was not a duck, but she was so persuasive that I got confused. I guess it is because I've never played "duck, duck, goose." I'm seeing also the "fuzzy" babies toddling along.