Tuesday, April 22, 2008

she sleeps

Could it be possible that a two year old would be able to use manipulation techniques?

Yes, I think I just saw one in action.

We had done all of the "getting ready for bed" things flawlessly. Jammies were on and Lucy and her puppy were waiting on the sofa for me to read "The Ugly Duckling," her book of choice for this trip. She convinced me to read two more books after that and then it was off to dreamland.

Lucy didn't get her nap today. She fell asleep for fifteen minutes in the van on the way home from our visit with Aunt Ruth. After that no more sleep would come so she and I went shopping for a new pair of shoes (for her of course). Two girls at the mall sharing a chocolate milkshake at the Chick-fil-a.

Well, you would think she would have dropped into the bed exhausted. She did go down happily, but five minutes later she was screaming at the very top of her lungs. She said she wanted her moma, but she really wanted to get back up and read some more.

Her plan didn't work. I told her that we would read again first thing in the morning and believe me she will not forget. I can't tell you how hard it is to read "The Ugly Duckling" at 6:30 am.
She is quiet now with my promise of more fun tomorrow if she gets a good nights sleep.

She obeyed with no further fuss.

I was amazed to see Aunt Ruth today standing outside (on her own) to greet us. She looks at least 10 years younger than her age of ninety three. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lucy and Harry were great which was such a blessing. (you never know with babies) It was good to see Diane and Ray and Nancy as well.

My fresh catch tonight for dinner tonight was grilled talipia. It was superb.

We'll be heading for home tomorrow afternoon. This has been a short, sweet visit.

As for those manipulation techniques, I think we learn them very young....thank goodness for parents who nip them in the bud. There's nothing worse than a grown woman pouting, crying, and using whatever method she chooses from her emotional baggage to get her way. And pity the poor man who has to live with her.

As for Lucy......she sleeps. She didn't get her way and she will be better for it one day.

No comments: