Thursday, September 13, 2007

alligator fingernails

I knew I would have to cut them. Amanda refused.....she said she wouldn't even try. I kept putting it off until last night when Eli left a slit on my neck and chest with his precious little fingernails.

My excuse had been that I couldn't find my fingernail scissors, but you can be sure that I made the effort to find them last night. I have made the observation in the past that dressing a baby is like wrestling an alligator. Well.....cutting their fingernails is like cutting an alligator's fingernails.

The thing about babies is that they are only still when they are sleeping.......at all other times they are constantly moving. The hard part is that every time I tried to cut a nail, Eli would pull his little hand away. It is an accomplishment to do all ten fingers without drawing blood.

I was so proud to be done with Eli.....then Amanda made me cut Jake's fingernails.....all ten of them with dirt underneath. Can you believe that the same thing happened again? Jake pulled each finger away several times before the job was done.

At 59 years of age I can still get the mothering thing done. It takes some practice, but it all comes back. It takes both Amanda and I going full steam from morning till night to keep these boys cared for.....I don't know how she does it by herself.

One more thing........babies are very slippery when you bathe them. So far I have been able to keep a good grip when I get the little round butterball all soaped up. Eli likes a big tub of warm water as much as anyone else, but the best is when I take him out and wrap him up in a big, fluffy towel. He is warm and he smells sooooo good. That is the best!

Maybe I can talk Bubba into adopting one of our own!!!!!

No comments: