Wednesday, September 26, 2007

white after labor day

They were all washed, ironed, and ready to be put away.....my white linen pants. There is an unwritten rule in the fashion world that we are not to wear white after labor Day. Well it is still hot and humid and I broke that silly rule. I wore them today and they felt just right. Anyway, there are no fashion police at the nursing home where I spend most of my time.

My grandmother, Hodie, was a seamstress. She made everything from baby clothes to wedding gowns for people all over Savannah. She made all of my pretty dresses when I was a little girl. She would take me to Fines Department store to the children's section and tell me to pick out a beautiful dress and she would make it for me.

I think that's how I got interested in style and fashion. The things she would make would intrique me as she sewed them on an old foot-pedal Singer. I wish I had inherited her talent.

I have a theory about lizards in the fall. I think they slow down as they get ready to winter. Today I was coming down the stairs at the condo and I saw one on the very bottom step. He was a mile long! I told myself , "not to worry Cathy, he will scoot away before I get there." Well, that didn't happen. He stayed right where he was and to frighten me even more there was a second one.

Where do lizards go to winter? I am just glad that they go somewhere and hide and I don't have to experience that fright in the middle of my stomach for a few months.

Moma will be off of the antibiotics when I see her tomorrow. She is so much diminished right now. This vigil is very difficult, but as my commentor has said, God does things in His timing and in His way. Again, thank you. Your words mean the world to me...

Still no feedback from my blood. I hope it speaks tomorrow. I can't seem to get over my fatigue, but I guess that is to be expected.

What God made us to do:

Psalm 8:5-9
"Yet Thou has made him (man)
a little lower than God,
and dost crown Him with glory and majesty!

Thou dost make him (man) to rule
over the works of Thy hands;
Thou hast put all things under his feet.

All sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field.

The birds of the heavens,
and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

O Lord, our Lord,
How majestic is Thy name
in all the earth."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think in the south the fashion police do not come out until December 1st.
Nursing home vigils are very hard to bear, there is no joy in a nursing home. It is just a place for waiting
for the Lord to get things ready.
We have to always remember "Thy will be done"
Still praying for your mom and all
the family.

Anonymous said...

What about white jeans? Do they need to be put away until Memorial Day? (My mom wanted me to ask you.)

Erika

Cathy Cleland said...

Hi Erika....does your mom read my blog?
Of course, I am no authority on fashion, but I do believe that white jeans are acceptable all year round.
I love to wear linen because it breathes. When it gets cold you would freeze in linen so therefore most of my summer wardrobe goes in storage.
As the previous commentor stated, in the south fashion is a little different because of the extended "Indian Summer."
Truly, we can wear whatever we want and not worry about the fashion police.