Friday, November 9, 2007

hot pepper vs. jalapeno

This afternoon I used the last container of shrimp in the freezer to make shrimp creole. Yesterday while at the grocery store I bought what I thought was a jalapeno pepper to use in the receipe.

Bubba is a fine cutter-upper. He gets it done quickly and he does it with expertise. This afternoon when I got home he was already well into the task of getting onions, celery, and peppers into the pot. Since we weren't sure of the hotness level of the pepper, I advised him to just put a little bit in the mix but..........he proceeded to use the whole thing.

He insisted that the pepper I bought was not a jalapeno but a "hot pepper." Excuse me......I thought the term "hot pepper" would be the generic term for all peppers that are hot. He insisted that "hot peppers" are in a class by themselves and they are hotter than jalapenos would ever hope to be.

The shrimp creole was devastatingly hot......hotter than any I have ever made. We drank half of a pitcher of tea and had to use bread as a buffer.

Questions:
1. Is there such a thing as a "hot pepper" in and of itself?
2. If there is such a thing as a "hot pepper" is it hotter than a jalapeno?
3. Did I spell jalapeno right?

Now, on to more important questions:
1. O Lord, who may abide in Your tent?
2. Who may dwell in Thy holy hill?

1. He who walks with integrity
2. He who works righteousness
3. He who speaks truth in his heart
4. He who does not slander with his tongue
5. He who does no evil to his neighbor
6. He who does not take up a reproach against his friend

He who does these things will never be shaken.

"I have set the Lord continually before me:
because He is at my right hand I will not be shaken,
Therefore my heart is glad."

I am getting better. Lots of rest and lots of striving to keep the Lord "continually before me."
This is something I have to do and it is hard work.

from cathy on a dark, rainy, cold night with lots of warm thoughts.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do know that the small green peppers are called cayenne (?) they are the kind that our Grandaddy Barbee, Big Ben, planted and they are
really hot. I am not a real fan of hot pepper so don't know which one is the hotter. You had better come back south, it is to be in the 70's again tomorrow.
ECD

David said...

I think that the most common term for "hot peppers" would be chilis. These can range anywhere from the relatively mild Bell Pepper to the intensely spicy habanero and the scotch bonnet.

Recently Erika made some jambalaya that called for one jalapeno. Kea told her to throw in two. We also consumed quite a bit of tea that night.